White Ants vs Termites: Is there a Difference?
If you’re researching White Ants vs Termites, you might be surprised to learn that white ants are in fact just another name for termites – but termites are not ants at all!
We explain in greater detail below.
White Ants vs Termites
Subterranean Termites, are often referred to as ‘White Ants’, basically because of their size and colour, but this classification can be a little confusing because termites are not actually ants.
In saying that, if you haven’t been through the proper training or seen termites first hand, it may be very difficult for you to differentiate between ants and termites.
What is a Termite?
Subterranean termites are social insects that live in a colony. They feed on cellulose which is found in many timber building materials, and as a consequence cause significant damage to thousands of Australian properties each year.
They are pale in colour, which is sometimes described as light brown or “creamy”.
Termites are small and said to range from 0.6 – 1.2 cm.
How do Termites Differ from Ants?
Here are some notable differences between regular ants and termites:
- Body shapes: Ants have a narrower section at the waist, whereas termites do not have any real distinction between their abdomen and thorax.
- Colour: Ants vary in colour but tend to be quite dark or close to black.
- Antennae: Some ants have antennae which are described as “elbow-shaped” I.e., 90-degree angles. Termites, on the other hand, have straight antennae which appears to be beaded.
- Sight: Many termites in a colony will be blind, yet ants have compound eyes so have better awareness of their surroundings.
- Environment: Termites require moisture and will not survive where the conditions aren’t right. Ants also like the humidity but have adapted to moving about in outdoor environments (rather than in mud tubing like termites).
Termite Inspections and Treatments
It’s important to keep an eye out around your home for any signs of termite activity, like mud tubing, timber decay or damage, or discarded wings, and if you have an inkling there could be termites to call in a licensed inspector like All Corners Carpet Cleaning & Pest Control.
If a termite infestation is uncovered, an appropriate treatment plan will be put in place by our team.
If termites aren’t uncovered, we can help with preventative measures to reduce the chance of a termite attack in the future.
All Corners are the leading Carpet Cleaning & Pest Control professionals for the Brisbane Northside.
With over a decade of experience in these industries, no job is too big or small. We understand your need for quality!
We can help you with Pest and Termite inspections and treatment as well as carpet and upholstery cleaning.
For a free no-obligation quote, call us today on 0439 722 914 or send us an online message here.